Image: Immigration Customs Enforcement team
Eyes on Ice: Documenting Abuses against Immigrant Communities
From 13-year-old Fatima Avelica-Gonzalez filming her father as he was arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement(ICE) agents on her cell phone amidst her sobs, to the desperation, confusion, and fear heard in the recording of 10 Central American children separated from their families at the US-Mexican border, documentation has a crucial role in exposing immigration abuses and advocating for rights.
This project offers a deep dive into how to safely, ethically and effectively film immigration abuses by ICE agents, Border Patrol, and others through in person trainings, tipsheets, case studies, videos, and more.
Together we will expose ICE and Border Patrol, demand justice, share our truths, and remind the perpetrators: the world is watching.
No bans. No walls. No deportations.
Resources & Stories
WHAT JOURNALISTS SHOULD KNOW BEFORE REPORTING ON BORDER COMMUNITIES
ORGANIZATIONAL DIGITAL SECURITY GUIDE FOR IMMIGRATION JUSTICE
EYES ON THE BORDER TRAINING WITH NEW SANCTUARY COALITION
REPORTING ON IMMIGRATION: ACTIVISTS AND JOURNALISTS IN CONVERSATION
DOCUMENTING ICE WITH NEW YORK MAGAZINE
EYES ON THE BORDER: TRAINING IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES TO DOCUMENT ABUSES
FILMING IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS OFFICIALS
Q&A: LEGAL ISSUES AND SECURITY CONCERNS WHEN FILMING ICE
ROMULO’S STORY: USING VIDEO TO ADVOCATE FOR IMMIGRANT RIGHTS
EYES ON THE BORDER: KEEPING FAMILIES SAFE
SHARING VIDEOS OF ENCOUNTERS WITH IMMIGRATION ENFORCEMENT
WITNESS JOINS #WEHAVERIGHTS CAMPAIGN
JUAN’S STORY: FROM SURVEILLANCE CAMERA TO THE COURTROOM
Eyes on ICE in the news…
- Al Jazeera, The Listening Post “ICE Watch: Turning the lens on U.S. immigration agencies“
- The Guardian, “‘Resistance Zone’: the neighborhood where people train to confront ICE“
- The Marshall Project, “How Donald Trump’s War on Immigrants is Playing out in NYC“
- New York Magazine, “City of Fear“
- Brut America, “Can Cell Phones Deter Illegal ICE Activity?”
- The Observer “Immigrant Groups to Offer Guidance on Resisting ICE“