Image: Immigration Customs Enforcement team
Eyes on ICE: Documenting Abuses against Immigrant Communities
From 13-year-old Fatima Avelica-Gonzalez filming her father as he was arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement(ICE) agents on her cell phone amidst her sobs, to the desperation, confusion, and fear heard in the recording of 10 Central American children separated from their families at the US-Mexican border, documentation has a crucial role in exposing immigration abuses and advocating for rights.
This project offers a deep dive into how to safely, ethically and effectively film abuses against immigrants from ICE agents, Border Patrol, and others through in person trainings, tip sheets, case studies, videos, and more.
Together we will expose ICE and Border Patrol, demand justice, share our truths, and remind the perpetrators: the world is watching.
No bans. No walls. No deportations.
Sign up for our newsletter to get regular updates on new resources and our work in the United States
Resources & Stories
DOCUMENTING ICE AT HOME
EYES BEYOND THE BORDER: USING VIDEO TO DEFEND MIGRANT RIGHTS
REAL OR RUMOR: HOW TO VERIFY ONLINE REPORTS OF ICE RAIDS
HOW YOU CAN HELP THE HUMANITARIAN CRISIS AT THE BORDER...AND BEYOND
EMMA ALANIZ: WORKING WITH REFUGEES AT THE US-MEXICO BORDER
ONLINE MANIPULATION OF VISUAL CONTENT FOR ANTI-IMMIGRANT PROPAGANDA
SHARING VIDEOS OF ENCOUNTERS WITH IMMIGRATION ENFORCEMENT
WITNESS JOINS #WEHAVERIGHTS CAMPAIGN
EYES ON THE BORDER: KEEPING FAMILIES SAFE
ORGANIZATIONAL DIGITAL SECURITY GUIDE FOR IMMIGRATION JUSTICE
EYES ON THE BORDER TRAINING WITH NEW SANCTUARY COALITION
REPORTING ON IMMIGRATION: ACTIVISTS AND JOURNALISTS IN CONVERSATION
JUAN'S STORY PART 2: USING VIDEO AS EVIDENCE IN IMMIGRATION PROCEEDINGS
DOCUMENTING ICE WITH NEW YORK MAGAZINE
WHAT JOURNALISTS SHOULD KNOW BEFORE REPORTING ON BORDER COMMUNITIES
EYES ON THE BORDER: TRAINING IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES TO DOCUMENT ABUSES
FILMING IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS OFFICIALS
Q&A: LEGAL ISSUES AND SECURITY CONCERNS WHEN FILMING ICE
HOW COULD WIRETAPPING LAWS AFFECT YOUR RIGHT TO FILM LAW ENFORCEMENT?
ROMULO’S STORY: USING VIDEO TO ADVOCATE FOR IMMIGRANT RIGHTS
JUAN'S STORY PART 1: USING VIDEO TO ADVOCATE AGAINST DEPORTATION
Eyes on ICE in the news…
- PBS News Hour, “Threat of Immigration Raids Incites Fears Across U.S.“
- Al Jazeera, The Listening Post “Between ‘Swarms’ and ‘Security’, How Media Report on Immigration“
- VICE, “The Watchdogs Surveilling Border Patrol and ICE“
- Al Jazeera, The Listening Post “ICE Watch: Turning the lens on U.S. immigration agencies“
- The Guardian, “‘Resistance Zone’: the neighborhood where people train to confront ICE“
- The Marshall Project, “How Donald Trump’s War on Immigrants is Playing out in NYC“
- New York Magazine, “How to Document ICE“
- New York Magazine, “City of Fear“
- Brut America, “Can Cell Phones Deter Illegal ICE Activity?”
- The Observer “Immigrant Groups to Offer Guidance on Resisting ICE“
- The Ithacan “FLEFF Kicks Off with Event on Immigration”