Image: Police officers confront man during 2014 Ferguson protests.
Based off of a photo from Whitney Curtis for The New York Times.
Caught on camera
Police Violence in the United States
Overview and Analysis
How many videos of abuse have never seen the light of day because they were confiscated or destroyed? How many were never released because the witness feared retribution? How many have only received minimal media attention, and failed to result in a serious investigation?
A survey of four recent cases in the U.S. — and several around the world — challenge assumptions about the role of video in attaining accountability for abuse, and point to ways filmers, advocates, journalists, and the justice system can use video effectively for change.
Stories and Resources
POLICE BODY CAMERAS
WON'T SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS
HOW COULD WIRETAPPING LAWS AFFECT YOUR RIGHT TO FILM POLICE?
USE THIS APP TO FILM THE POLICE
DISPATCH FROM BRAZIL
IF KILLED BY POLICE, GUILTY BY DEFAULT...
UNLESS THERE’S VIDEO?
YOUTH SPEAK TRUTH
RECLAIMING THE STORY OF MIKE BROWN JR.
PROFILING THE POLICE
USING EYEWITNESS VIDEO AS DATA
POLICE MISCONDUCT IN THE U.S.
THE ROLE OF BYSTANDER VIDEOS
GETTING THE TRUTH OUT
RESTORATIVE JUSTICE FOR VICTIMS OF POLICE VIOLENCE
LIVESTREAM - FROM RIO TO NYC
CAN VIDEO END IMPUNITY FOR POLICE ABUSE?
YOU CAPTURED POLICE ABUSE ON VIDEO
COMMUNITY-LED FIRST RESPONDERS
USING VIDEO TO DOCUMENT POLICE ABUSE
FILMING POLICE ABUSE
A ROUNDUP OF RESOURCES AND GUIDANCE
COMMUNITY-BASED APPROACHES TO ARCHIVING VIDEO
LEARNING FROM BLACK LIVES MATTER
THE NYPD WANTS
YOUR THOUGHTS ON BODYCAMS (KIND OF)
- Shorty Awards, “Profiling the Police project wins Shorty Awards Audience Honor in Social Activism“
- The Outline, “Uber for Snitches“
- Motherboard, “The Price of Filming Police Violence“
- The Ringer, “Facebook Live’s Identity Crisis“
- How Stuff Works “The Power of Police, Protesters and Cell Phone Video“
- Canadian Broadcast Corporation, “What to consider when uploading cell phone video of police violence“
- The Guardian, “Police body cameras cannot replace the power of citizen witnesses“